The hire of the bin and the service charge costs £60 for the year. This entitles you to 25 collections, once every two weeks (except for the Christmas holidays). You might not get a brand new bin, that's because we like to reuse bins, but it will be clean. You can hire more than one bin.
We won't empty a bin that has not been provided through our lease scheme.
Ordering of new and additional brown bins
The brown bin stock is currently low and we are awaiting a delivery, therefore this may cause a delay for you receiving your brown bin. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
You can also use this link to make your annual renewal payment or call the Contact Centre on 01277 312500.
How to cancel a hire agreement
Full or part refunds are not provided.
Biodegradable garden waste sacks
Our biodegradable garden waste sacks can be bought from any of the outlets listed below. The green waste sacks cost £3.50 for a roll of 10 sacks.
We won't collect any other type of sack because the sacks we provide are 100% compostable. Avoid over filling them and tie them with the ears/handles. They should be kept in dry conditions as once they contain material or get wet, the sacks may start breaking down after about two weeks. Even if you look after the sacks, they have a shelf life of one to two years, so don't leave it too long before you use them.
Garden waste we do collect:
- grass cuttings
- hedge cuttings
- tree cuttings - maximum diameter of 150mm and must fit inside the biodegradable sack or wheeled bin
- flowers and plants
- Christmas trees cut to a maximum height of 6 feet
Garden waste we don't collect:
- soil and compost
- plant pots
- stones and rocks
- gardening tools
- kitchen waste
- animal waste
- harmful weeds such as common ragwort, Japanese knotweed, Spear thistle, Field thistle, Broad leaved dock, Curled dock, Himalayan balsam, Giant hogweed
How we collect your garden waste
Place your hired wheeled bin or biodegradable sacks on the kerbside by 7:30am, only on your specified collection day. Check your Collection day.
During the winter, sub-zero temperatures can create difficulties with emptying the garden waste from a wheeled bin. If possible, keep the bin under cover and occasionally stir or turnover the garden waste.
Other options for disposing of garden waste
You can take it to one of the Essex County Council Recycling Centres for Household Waste:
Or compost your waste at home. You can order a discounted composter from Get composting, call 0844 571 444 or to speak to the customer care team on Freephone 0800 316 4454. Prices from £8.98 and for the adventurous environmentalist there are also wormeries and Bokashi systems available. Find out more about composting by visiting recyclenow.
Outlets where you can get biodegradable sacks:
- Chelmsford Star Co-operative, 1 Fingrith Hall Lane, Blackmore
- Nisa, 146A Hatch Road, Pilgrims Hatch
- Copperfield Stores, 26 Copperfield Gardens, Brentwood
- A&S Supermarket, 9-15 Eastham Crescent, Brentwood
- Londis Brook Street Store, 35 Brook Street, Brentwood
- Londis Stores, 19 Warley Hill, Brentwood
- Brentwood Mini Market, 7 High Street, Brentwood
- Robert Dyas, 95 High Street, Brentwood
- The Emporium, 5 Warley Hill, Brentwood
- Pilgrims Hatch Post Office, 422 Ongar Road, Pilgrims Hatch
- Budgens, 74 Church Lane, Doddinghurst
- Doddinghurst News, 78 Church Lane, Doddinghurst
- Chelmsford Star Co-operative, 62-64 Woodlands Avenue, Hutton
- Hutton Shopper, 208 Rayleigh Road, Hutton
- Lords Newsagents, Rayleigh Parade, Hutton
- Costcutter, 52 Hanging Hill Lane, Hutton
- R G Newsagents, 26 Springfield Avenue, Hutton
- Budgens, High Street, Ingatestone
- Brentwood Superstore, 1 Crescent Road, Warley
- Jackson (Londis), 187 Thorndon Avenue, West Horndon
- HJ Looker, 247 Ongar Road Brentwood
- Costcutter, 156 Brentwood Road, Herongate
- Ingatestone & Fryerning Parish Council, Suite 1, 4 The Limes, Ingatestone
- Patrick Green Ltd, 49 High Street, Ingatestone
- Wisebuys, 48-50 Blackmore Road, Kelvedon Hatch
- AM General Food Stores, 3 Rayleigh Parade, Hutton