Find out about Election jobs.
Mindful employer charter
Brentwood Borough Council has signed the Mindful Employer Charter for Employers who are positive about Mental Health.
As an employer, we recognise that:
- people who have mental health issues may have experienced discrimination in recruitment and selection procedures, which may discourage them from seeking employment
- some people will acknowledge their experience of mental health issues in a frank and open way, but others fear that stigma will jeopardise their chances of getting a job
- with appropriate support, many people who have experienced mental ill health continue to work successfully as do many with ongoing issues
As an employer we aim to:
- show a positive and enabling attitude to employees and job applicants with mental health issues, including positive statements in local recruitment literature
- make sure that all staff involved in recruitment and selection are briefed on mental health issues and The Equality Act 2010, and given appropriate interview training
- make it clear in any recruitment or occupational health checks that people who have experienced mental health issues will not be discriminated against and that disclosure of a mental health problem will enable both employee and employer to assess and provide the right level of support or adjustment
- not make assumptions that a person with a mental health issue will be more vulnerable to workplace stress or take more time off than any other employee or job applicant
- provide non-judgmental and proactive support to those who experience mental health issues
- make sure all line managers have information and training about managing mental health in the workplace
For more information, visit Mindful Employer.