Skip to main content

Voter identification

From 4 May 2023, voters in England will need to show photo Identification (ID) to vote at polling stations in some elections.

This will apply to:

  • local elections
  • Police and Crime Commissioner elections
  • UK Parliamentary by-elections
  • recall petitions

From October 2023, it will also apply to UK General elections.

View the Voter ID guide (PDF) and for a full list of accepted photo ID, visit Electoral Commission.

You can also view these easy read guides from the Electoral Commission:

If you have a form of accepted photo ID which is out of date, you can still use it to vote at a polling station if it still looks like you. If you don't have accepted photo ID, you can apply for a free voter ID document, which is known as a Voter Authority Certificate. 

When applying for a Voter Authority Certificate, you will need to provide your name, address, date of birth and National Insurance number. You should apply using the same name that you used to register to vote.

You will need to submit a photo with your application. The requirements for the photo are similar to the requirements for a passport photo, they must meet certain requirements in terms of style, quality and size. For more information, visit the Electoral Commission: Applying for a Voter Authority Certificate.

The deadline to apply for Voter ID for the elections on 4 May has now passed. You can still apply to get a Voter Authority Certificate for future elections.

You can also download a form and send it with your photograph to:

Electoral Services
Brentwood Borough Council
Town Hall
Ingrave Road
CM15 8AY

If you need any help applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request an application form, call the Electoral Services helpline on 01277 312708, email or call the Town Hall Contact Centre on 01277 312500. For more information, you can also call the Electoral Commission helpline on 0800 328 0280.

Find out more about voting at a polling station in person.