Right to Buy
The Right to Buy gives most Council tenants the opportunity to buy their home with a discount off the full market value of the property.
Secure tenants of Brentwood Borough Council can buy their Council home through the Right to Buy Scheme subject to certain conditions. There are costs involved in purchasing your home that we are unable to help you with such as:
- mortgage repayments
- leaseholder charges
- building insurance
- repairs and maintenance
You may also be charged fees for the necessary services of solicitors, valuers and surveyors. Before you consider purchasing we recommend you find the price of similar properties in your area. You can find out prices from the Land Registry website (House prices). You may have to pay a small charge for this information.
Who has the right to buy?
If you are a secure tenant you can usually buy your home through the Right to Buy Scheme subject to certain conditions.
You do not have the Right to Buy until you have been a public sector tenant (not a private tenant) for at least three years.
Previous public sector tenancies may also be taken into consideration, along with certain other criteria you will have to meet.
You can find lots of helpful information in 'Thinking of Buying Your Council Property'
If you are eligible you will qualify for a discount. The discount will be based upon the current market value of your home. The discount starts at:
- 35% between 3 and 5 years tenancy for houses and rising by 1% for each year you have been a tenant, to a maximum of 70%
- 50% between 3 and 5 years tenancy for a flat and rising by 2% for each year you have been a tenant, to a maximum of 70%
Your discount cannot be greater than the maximum discount currently allowed by government which is £82,800 for applications received after 6th April 2019.
If major repairs or improvements have been made to your home in the past, the purchase price may be affected. The discount may also be affected if you have previously purchased a social housing property with a discount.
If you would like a Right to Buy Application form you can download and print all required documents below. Once you have completed them please return to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively they can be posted to Town Hall, Ingrave Road, Brentwood,CM15 8AY.
What can you do to assist in your Right to Buy Application?
When returning your application form (RTB1) and in order to speed up the overall process we ask that you include;
1) A completed additional information form
2) Photo ID for all people wishing to purchase the property
3) Evidence that you have spoken with a mortgage advisor or bank to find out the maximum amount of money you could reasonably lend based on your current income. This is not a mortgage in principle and will not require a valuation of the property. If you are a cash buyer please provided evidence of the funds and where these have been acquired from.
4) Last 3 months bank statements for all accounts of all persons purchasing the property
5) Proof of address, this will need to be for at least the past 12 months for any non named tenant.
Whilst this will not hold up the initial part of your Right to Buy, if not received, it will prevent any Section 125 offer of sale price being issued.
Should you wish to find out more about the right to buy you can visit the government right to buy website.