Repairs and Maintenance- Permission for works in your property
As a Council Tenant you have a number of rights as part of your tenancy agreement. If you are a secure tenant one of them is to carry out improvements and alterations to your home.
You will need to seek written permission to carry out improvements and alterations in your home. We can refuse permission if we consider the works to be dangerous, that they reduce the value of the property, they restrict the property or we would have an obligation to repair any fixtures.
If you carry out works without permission we may give you notice to put the property back to how the property was on the day you took over the tenancy, or if you refuse we may carry out the works and counter charge you directly.
If you carry out works in your property you would then be liable for all future repairs and maintenance such as fitting a shower, front door, patio, electrical fittings, kitchen or fence.
If we have to attend to carry out a repair on your improvement or fitting due to a health and safety risk then you would be recharged.
If your tenancy finishes you would be expected to return the property and fixtures to how the property was on the day you took over the tenancy. You would also be counter charged for any reinstatement works bringing the property back to the Councils lettable standard.
If a proposed project involved building works then we would require a copy of all details including granted permission from building and planning control, and party wall notices.
Any window or door replacements would have to be undertaken via a reputable accredited Fensa contractor while matching the existing profile in the block or street.
Any electrical works completed we would require a copy of your minor works certification.
Any external excavation we would expect a CAT scan or GPR survey to have been undertaken to ensure no cables, drains or supplies have been disturbed.
Permission MUST be sought for the follows items:
- Fish ponds, outside taps, garages, sheds, greenhouses and outhouses
- External hardstanding, addition or removal of fencing, paving, pathways, excavations, drop kerbs, driveways
- All heating including radiators, towel rails, gas fires, fireplaces
- Electrical, fittings / sockets, spot lights, external PIR lighting, removal or disturbing of heat, smoke or co detectors
- Porches, car port, extensions, windows, internal and external doors including patio doors, conservatories, fireplaces, knock-throughs or blocking off openings
- Loft conversions, boarding of lofts, false ceilings, note lofts spaces and cellars are not to be used for storage or habitation due to health and safety risks
- Flooring (timber or laminate), removal of spindles or newel posts
- Kitchen, bathroom or wc upgrades, water meters, additions including showers, mixer taps, pipework, tiling or bathroom fixtures.
- Satellite dishes, tv aerials and CB satellites or antennas
You can contact our housing team on firstname.lastname@example.org explaining in details what you plan to do. Await your approval or set details of any conditions that are to be met. Inform us when works are completed as we may need to check works are undertaken satisfactory.
For technical advise please contact the repairs team on email@example.com
Details of both building control and planning contact details are outlined on our website.