Support, Advice and Funding
Current restrictions in Essex (except Southend and Thurrock)
Brentwood's alert level moved to High on Saturday 17 October. We will advise you on this page if the level changes.
If you can complete your normal duties at home, work from home.
If you cannot work from home, go to your place of work using safer travel advice and follow Covid guidelines.
Follow guidance on working safely in other people’s homes if you are an official or registered tradesperson.
If you work in hospitality, use the guidance for your type of workplace to keep your employees and customers safe.
Find out about the support available for your business.
New grant scheme for hospitality, leisure and accommodation sectors
On Thursday 22 October, the government announced approved additional funding to support cash grants of up to £2,100 per month primarily for businesses in the hospitality, accommodation and leisure sector who may be adversely impacted by the restrictions in high-alert level areas. Brentwood Borough Council is awaiting more information about this grant scheme.
COVID-19 Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme
The Government has introduced a Test and Trace Support Payment to support people in employment that have been instructed to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace from Monday 28 September 2020 and meet the qualifying criteria. Further information is available on our COVID-19 Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme web page.
Brentwood Open / Shenfield Open / Ingatestone Open posters
We have produced a library of COVID-19 Secure posters for shops, restaurants, pubs, salons and offices to download and print.
Small Business Grant Fund and Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Funds update
Applications for COVID-19 Small Business Funding Grants and Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grants closed on 28 August 2020.
Brentwood Discretionary Business Grant scheme
Brentwood Borough Council has distributed £904,000 of government funding to 170 local businesses via Brentwood Discretionary Business Grants of £2k, £5k and £10k. The scheme is now closed.
Business support packages
Visit GOV.UK for the latest information on the government’s business support packages.
This is regularly updated and includes information on:
- the job retention scheme
- deferring VAT and Income Tax payments
- statutory sick pay rebate
- business rates holiday
- small businesses grants
- access to finance
Other guidance and support is available for:
- protection from eviction for commercial tenants
- financial assistance for employers unable to pay statutory redundancy payments
Guidance on further businesses and premises to close
View the current guidance on which businesses and premises must close and the exceptions to each category.
Guidance on getting back to work safely
Information and advice for both employers and employees is available on our Getting Back to Work Safely web page.
Helpful resources for employers and employees
- Government guidance on social distance measures (pdf)
- Coronavirus business support from government
- COVID-19: guidance for employees
- Support for businesses from outside of government
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) business support FAQs
- Guidance for employers and businesses on coronavirus (pdf poster)
- the South East Local Enterprise Partnership (SELEP), who link to support available for businesses
- the Federation of Small Businesses, who give advice and guidance for small businesses and the self-employed
- the BEST Growth Hub, who list regional and national organisations that can help businesses
- ACAS, who offer a range of advice and support to businesses
- the University of Essex has created a range of business webinars
- You can contact the government’s Business Support Helpline for free advice on 0300 456 3565. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm
- HMRC operates a helpline for businesses on 0800 0159 559.
Receive alerts about local business support
Sign up to receive alerts from Brentwood Borough Council about business support, advice and funding.
Contact the Brentwood Borough Council Economic Development team
If you need further assistance email email@example.com with your enquiry.