- This Website
- Collection Day
Brown Bin/Green Bags - Garden Waste
The hire of the bin and the service charge costs £53.00 for the year, this entitles you to 25 collections - once every two weeks (except for the Christmas holidays). You might not get a brand new bin, that's because we like to reuse bins, but it will be clean. You can hire more than one bin.
Please note that the Council will not tip and empty a bin that has not been provided through the Council's lease scheme.
Ordering of new and additional brown bins
To hire a new or extra garden waste bin, please use this link:
You can also use this link to make your annual renewal payment or ring the Contact Centre on 01277 312500.
How to cancel a hire agreement
To cancel a hire agreement please complete the following online form Brown Garden Waste Bin Cancellation form. Please note that full or part refunds are not provided.
Biodegradable garden waste sacks
Brentwood Borough Council biodegradable garden waste sacks can be bought from any of the outlets listed below. The green waste sacks cost £3.30 for a roll of 10 sacks.
We will not collect any other type of sack because the sacks we provide are 100% compostable. Avoid over filling them and tie them with the ears/handles. They do need to be kept in dry conditions as once they contain material, or get wet, the sacks may start breaking down after about two weeks. Even if you look after the sacks they have a shelf life of one to two years; so don't leave it too long before you use them!
What garden waste do we collect?
- Grass cuttings
- Hedge cuttings
- Tree cuttings - Maximum diameter of 150mm and fit inside the biodegradable sack or wheeled bin.
- Christmas Trees - Cut to a maximum height of 6'
- Plant pots
- Gardening tools
- Kitchen waste
- Animal waste
- Harmful weeds - e.g. Common ragwort, Japanese knotweed, Spear thistle, Field thistle, Broad leaved dock, Curled dock, Himalayan balsam, Giant hogweed.
How do we collect your garden waste?
Place your hired wheeled bin or biodegradable sacks on the kerbside by 7:30am, only on your specified collection day: Collection day
In the winter time, sub zero temperatures can create difficulties with emptying the garden waste from a wheeled bin. If possible, keep the bin under cover and occasionally stir, or turnover, the garden waste.
Any other options for the disposal of garden waste?
You can take it to one of the Essex County Council Recycling Centres for Household Waste:
Or compost your waste at home; you can order a discounted composter from www.essex.getcomposting.com or ring 0844 571 444 or to speak to the customer care team on Freephone 0800 316 4454. Prices from £8.98 and for the adventurous environmentalist there are also wormeries and Bokashi systems available. Further composting information is also available from recyclenow.com
List of outlets for the biodegradable sacks:
- Chelmsford Star Co-operative, 1 Fingrith Hall Lane, Blackmore
- Roses Bakery, 102 Hutton Road, Shenfield
- A&S Supermarket, 9-15 Eastham Crescent, Brentwood
- Londis Brook Street Store, 35 Brook Street, Brentwood
- Londis Stores, 19 Warley Hill, Brentwood
- Brentwood Mini Market, 7 High Street, Brentwood
- Robert Dyas, 95 High Street, Brentwood
- The Emporium, 5 Warley Hill, Brentwood
- Pilgrims Hatch Post Office, 422 Ongar Road, Pilgrims Hatch
- Budgens, 74 Church Lane, Doddinghurst
- Doddinghurst News, 78 Church Lane, Doddinghurst
- Chelmsford Star Co-operative, 62-64 Woodlands Avenue, Hutton
- Hutton Shopper, 208 Rayleigh Road, Hutton
- Lords Newsagents, Rayleigh Parade, Hutton
- Costcutter, 52 Hanging Hill Lane, Hutton
- R G Newsagents, 26 Springfield Avenue, Hutton
- Budgens, High Street, Ingatestone
- Brentwood Superstore, 1 Crescent Road, Warley
- Jackson (Londis), 187 Thorndon Avenue, West Horndon
- HJ Looker, 247 Ongar Road Brentwood
- Costcutter, 156 Brentwood Road, Herongate
- Ingatestone & Fryerning Parish Council, Suite 1, 4 The Limes, Ingatestone
- Patrick Green Ltd, 49 High Street, Ingatestone
- Wisebuys, 48-50 Blackmore Road, Kelvedon Hatch
- AM General Food Stores, 3 Rayleigh Parade, Hutton