The Building Control service ensures that newly erected or altered buildings, whether residential, commercial or industrial, are safe and fit for people to live and work in.
- Structural stability
- Fire safety
- Site preparation, resistance to contaminants and resistance to moisture
- Toxic substances
- Sound resistance
- Drainage and waste disposal
- Heat producing appliances
- Protection from falling, collision and impact
- Conservation of fuel and power
- Glazing safety
- Access to and use of buildings
- Electrical safety
- Dangerous structures
Customer Service Pledge
- Full plans for building regulation applications. We aim to check and respond to your applications within 24 working days of deposit.
- Building notices will be acknowledged within 5 working days of receipt.
- Completion certificates will be issued automatically with Full Inspection and satisfactory completion of Building Works.
- Letters. We aim to respond to letters within ten working days of receipt by Building Control.
- You or your agent will be kept informed as to the progress of your application.
- Pre-application advice can be given where required.
- Site visits will be carried out the same day where requests are received before 9am that day.
- Office hours. Weekdays: 8:30am to 5pm (4:30pm on Fridays). Appointments outside office hours by prior agreement. Surveyors are contactable throughout the day for professional advice.
Access for the disabled
An advisory service on the provision of access and facilities to buildings for disabled people and the promotion of public awareness to the needs of disabled people.
Dangerous buildings and structures
Phone lines are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 01277 312500.
The control of demolition by notice with inspection to ensure that they are carried out in a safe, nuisance free manner.
Building Control questionnaire
You can send us your feedback on our service, using our online form.