Skip to main content

Insurance claims against the Council

Making a claim

If you are a solicitor and wish to make a claim via the claims portal, our insurers are:

Zurich Insurance Company Ltd
Policy Number: QLA-19H063-0123
Portal ID: C00650

Highways claims are the responsibility of Essex County Council. Please redirect your claim to Essex County Council.

For other losses and for claims made by members of the public, please use the process, as described below.

Making a claim for personal injury or damage to property if you believe Brentwood Borough Council is responsible

You may only make a claim against us if you believe we have been negligent, and:

  • You suffered loss or damage to your possessions due to an incident, or
  • You suffered an injury

If you make a claim you must give evidence of why you think we are responsible for your loss or injury.

Although something unfortunate may have happened, there is no automatic entitlement to compensation. What is alleged to have happened may not be the Council's fault. Incidents can occur that are not necessarily due to an act of negligence by a person or organisation, such as wear and tear or pure accident.

If our contractors or public utility companies cause an accident, for which they would be legally responsible, we will redirect the claim to them.

If you wish to discuss any issues relating to claims or to request a claim form, please contact the Insurance Section on 01277 312821

For further information about how the Council will use the personal data you provide as part of your claim, please see our Insurance Claim Privacy Notice

Claims regarding roads and footpaths

Brentwood Borough Council is not responsible for repair and maintenance of all roads and footpaths in Brentwood District. Many are the responsibility of Essex County Council. If you are unsure who is responsible for a road or footpath either contact the Insurance Section on 01277 312821 or visit

Essex Highways - Who is responsible for my road

Claims for council housing incidents

Claims for housing incidents

Brentwood Borough Council Housing Services manage Council housing stock and all tenant and leasehold services.

Tenant claims

If you are a tenant and your possessions are damaged, we are not necessarily responsible for the damage. You should refer to your contents insurer in the first instance. For this reason Brentwood Borough Council strongly recommends every Council housing tenant should make their own arrangements for home contents insurance cover.

If we are found to be responsible for loss for damage, there will be a deduction for 'wear and tear' taking into consideration the age and condition of the items. As such any settlements will not be on a 'new for old' basis.

Leaseholder buildings claims (residential leaseholders of Brentwood Borough Council and buildings)

For leaseholder loss or damage to buildings, e.g. damage from burst pipes to plasterwork in the premises, please contact the Insurance Section on 01277 312821 to request a claim form.

Claims involving a council vehicle

For any incident involving a Brentwood Borough Council vehicle please contact the Insurance Section on 01277 312821.