The Environment Agency is responsible for maintaining or improving the quality of fresh, marine, surface and underground water in England and Wales.
The Agency aims to prevent or reduce the risk of water pollution wherever possible and to ensure that any pollution that may affect ecosystems or people is dealt with.
You can find out more about the work of the Environment Agency on their website at www.environment-agency.gov.uk including:
- why water quality is important
- what causes water pollution
- sources of pollution
- environmental quality standards
- water pollution and small businesses
- disputes regarding connection to the public sewer
The Pollution Team, part of the Council's Environmental Health Service, liaises with the Environment Agency when complaints are received about pollution of water courses. You can contact the Pollution Team by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.