Skip to main content

Parks events

Events in Brentwood parks and open spaces

Events such as outdoor keep fit classes, boot camps, sponsored events such as charity walks and family fun days can be held in Brentwood Parks and Open Spaces (for events in Thorndon and Weald Country Parks, contact Essex County Council).

For larger scale events, please refer to our Advice on Organising an Event page.

Applying for permission to hold events on Council land

Once you have decided on your event and where you want to hold it, you will need to read and sign the Terms and Conditions, complete the online application form, upload copies of the required documents, such as a risk assessment, public liability insurance and DBS check of event staff who will come into direct contact with children at the event.

Unless all essential documents are uploaded at the time of submitting the application, the event will be refused, and the application will need to be resubmitted.

Do I need a licence?

If you're planning to provide entertainment, such as singing, music, dance or drama, or the sale of alcohol, you will need to apply for a licence. You can download the application forms and detailed guidance on the Licensing Act 2003 by visiting Temporary Events Notices.

Further information is available in the Licensing section of this website.

What happens when you receive my application?

Once we have received your application, officers will assess the application and forward on their recommendations to the Chairman of the Community Panel or Vice Chairman for a decision under delegated powers. Ward Members will also be consulted on any applications in their ward and asked for feedback before a decision is made. Larger events with 500 participants or more will be referred to the Safety Advisory Group before a decision is made.

Officers will advise the applicant of the decision, if it's decided that the event can go ahead, the hire fee will be requested in full before the event. For larger events, a bond will also be required and held until after the event in case of damages to Brentwood land.

With regards to any damage to land, trees, property following an event, view our Terms and Conditions (PDF). Officers will assess the grounds after the event and any damage made will be chargeable.

Fees for 2022/23 - hire of public open spaces

Items marked with a * will require a deposit, Bond or other mechanism to cover reinstatement costs in the event of any damage.

The prices quoted below are for the use of the space and do not include other licenses which may be required as detailed above.

Large open spaces (The Brentwood Centre)

  • Keep fit sessions (no cordoning off) for a maximum of 20 people - £21.60 including VAT per session
  • Commercial or charitable events please contact the Council separately

Large open spaces (King George’s Playing Fields)

  • Area A (open space opposite the old paddling pool area) - £431.00 per day
  • Area B (overflow car park/pitch one) only outside of the football season - £431.00 per day
  • Keep fit sessions (no cordoning off) for a maximum of 20 people - £21.60 including VAT per session
  • Non commercial or charitable events (following approval by ward members)* - 50% discount of the above fees

King George's Playing Fields can only be hired out during the months of June, July and August due to the winter sports season.

Other open spaces

  • Open space (following approval by Ward members)* - £431.00 per day
  • Keep fit sessions (no cordoning off) for a maximum of 20 people - £21.60 including VAT per session

All open spaces

  • Filming location fee (subject to conditions and credits) in open spaces only - by negotiation and consultation with the Chair of the Community Panel.
  • Repeat fee - 1% of original fee

Essex County Council country parks

(including Thorndon and Weald country parks)

The Essex County Council parks rangers organise a whole range of events to help you enjoy the Essex countryside.

Keep up to date with their events by visiting Explore Essex.