Council tax support and council tax non-compliance fraud
Council Tax Support fraud is when someone makes a claim for Council Tax Support based on information that they know is false or inaccurate.
Examples of Council Tax non-compliance are:
- Changes to income which could reduce the amount of Council Tax Support
- A change to the household which could end entitlement to a single person discount or reduce the amount of Council Tax Support.
- Someone starting work which could reduce the amount of Council Tax Support
If you suspect that someone you know is committing Council Tax Support or Council Tax Non-compliance Fraud please complete the online form below, which allows you to send your report anonymously:
If you prefer, you can telephone the Council's confidential fraud hotline 0800 0281492
Housing benefit fraud
Benefit fraud is now being dealt with by the Single Fraud Investigation Service at the Department for Works and Pensions.
There are 2 ways to commit benefit fraud:
- Intentionally not reporting a change in your circumstances
- Being dishonest in order to get benefits
If you suspect that someone you know is committing Housing Benefit fraud please telephone the National Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.
To report benefit fraud online, you can do so by visiting the Department for Work and Pensions website.
Housing tenancy fraud
Examples of how Housing Tenancy Fraud can be committed are:
- Unlawful sub-letting - when a tenant lets out their council or housing association home without the knowledge or permission of their landlord.
- Obtaining Housing by deception - When a person gets a council or housing association home by giving false information in their application.
- Unlawful succession - When a tenant dies, there are rules that say what should be done with the tenancy.
- Non-residence - A tenant of a Social or Registered Landlord who ceases to live at the address provided by that landlord may lose their assured tenancy status and lose their right to retain occupation of that property.
If you suspect that someone you know is committing Housing Tenancy Fraud please complete the online form below, which allows you to send your report anonymously:
Telephone the Council's confidential fraud hotline 0800 0281492