Skip to main content

General information and advice

All Town Hall reception services are now available online or by telephone 01277 312500 only. Please do not visit the Town Hall unless you have a pre-arranged appointment.

Allocation of social housing

Applicants will be notified by the Housing Options Team if they have been successful for an offer of pre-allocation of accommodation.

If you have received an offer of a Housing Association property, please contact them directly.


The cost of accommodation in Brentwood is very expensive, if you cannot afford to rent or buy locally you may need to also consider widening your area search.

In some circumstances, we may be able to assist with the Rent Deposit Scheme if you are a qualifying household usually if you are threatened with homelessness, are eligible, have a priority need, are not intentionally homeless and have a local connection. If you meet the criteria, then we can consider providing you with financial assistance to find accommodation outside of the Borough if you are unable to find accommodation in Brentwood.

There are some occasions that you may feel that you have to move due to additional support needs, but there are options available that may mean you can remain in your own home.

The information below may also be able to provide you assistance;

  • Help to Buy if you want to buy your own home but can't afford it
  • Join the register for a Council or Housing Association home if you can't afford to rent locally. Please note that due to significant demand it is very unlikely that this will be an immediate solution. If you require Housing Advice/Assistance you must complete the Housing Advice Request form below. Please refer to the Allocations Policy for eligibility criteria.
  • Express interest for vacant homes through HomeOption, once you have joined the Housing Register. Alternatively, if you are a Brentwood Borough Council tenant (or were nominated by BBC into a Housing Association property) then you can join the Transfer List.
  • Sheltered Accommodation - Sheltered Housing is available for people who wish to continue to live independently but have the benefit of additional support it you require it or if your needs change. Usually for those over 55 but also for people who are younger but require additional security or support to enable independent living.
  • Existing tenants can swap through a mutual exchange
  • What to do if you are likely to become homeless
  • Floating support - You would like to remain in your own home but require additional support to enable this. Floating Support can provide assistance to ensure tenancy sustainment, budgeting management, signposting to other support agencies, Mental Health services, voluntary work and much more.

If you have recently moved into Brentwood or changed your address please complete the online form below, which will allow you to inform different areas within the Council:

Please note: Any new or transferring tenant whose Tenancy commenced on or after the 18th July 2016 is required to pay one weeks rent charge upfront before they receive the keys to their new home.