Skip to main content

CIL Process and Forms for Planning Applications

It is important to read this page carefully, alongside the CIL Regulations 2010 (as amended) and DLUHC CIL Guidance, and follow CIL processes.  Failure to do so may result in you incurring CIL liability and/or surcharges.

Stage 1 - CIL Additional information form (responsibility of the applicant / agent)

When and how to start the CIL process

We advise that you should submit Form 1: CIL Additional Information (Form 1) for every full, reserved matters and domestic planning application for the types of development included in the CIL Charging Schedule.

Why we need the form

The information you provide on the form enables us to:

  • determine whether or not CIL is payable
  • calculate the chargeable amount


Please download and complete the Planning Portal's CIL Additional Form:

The CIL Planning Application Additional Information Guidance Note (PDF) will help you complete this form.

Stage 2a - Assumption of Liability

Who will be responsible for paying CIL?

CIL Form 2: Assumption of Liability (Form 2) tells us who'll be responsible for paying the CIL charge on a development.

You must submit Form 2 prior to the commencement of development.  It is highly recommended that Form 2 is submitted alongside Form 1: CIL Additional Information Form.

Please download and complete the Planning Portal's CIL assumption of liability form:

Withdrawing or transferring liability

The assumption of liability can be withdrawn or transferred at any time before the development commences.

Once development commences, the assumption of liability can be transferred but can't be withdrawn. You can transfer liability any time up until the date the final payment is due.

If you wish to withdraw or transfer your liability to someone else (for example, because you have sold the site), then you'll need to complete the appropriate form and send it to us. The forms are available below:

Impact on relief

If you choose to transfer liability, any relief you may receive will not transfer to the new liable party.

Following transfer, the new liable party will need to apply for relief, and provide the necessary evidence.

Stage 2b - Exemption or relief from CIL

Is your proposed development eligible for exemption or relief from CIL?

See our CIL Exemptions and Relief webpages for guidance on what developments are exempt or can apply for CIL relief.

If you consider that your development is eligible for exemption or relief from CIL you must submit the applicable exemption or relief claim form before you commence development. The application form you must submit will depend on the type of relief you'll be claiming for:

Stage 3 - Issue of liability notice (responsibility of Council)

How and when a liability notice is issued

Shortly after granting planning permission the Council will issue a Liability Notice in accordance with the CIL Regulations 2010 (as amended).

The liability notice:

  • sets out the chargeable amount payable in respect of the chargeable development
  • triggers the registration of the chargeable amount as a local land charge
  • and where relevant the amount of CIL which is has been granted an exemption or relief, subject to clawback mechanism.

Payment will become due on the date of commencement as detailed in Stage 4.

Where planning permission is granted on appeal, resulting in chargeable development, the Charging Authority will issue the liability notice for the chargeable amount as soon as possible.

Change in liability

If the liability changes at any point, a revised liability notice will be issued. This may be as a result of:

  • changes to the liable persons
  • effects of relief
  • appeal decisions
  • surcharges
  • loss of instalments

Stage 4 - Commencement notice (responsibility of applicant / agent)

When CIL becomes chargeable

Before you commence work on site (including demolition) you must submit a Commencement Notice Form (Form 6) to us, letting us know your intended commencement date.

This Form must be submitted at least one clear working day in advance of commencement.

This Form informs us when the development is going to start, and forms the basis of the dates that CIL payments will become due.

It is important that you wait until you receive an acknowledgement from the Council that the form has been received. Failure to do this prior to commencement will result in the loss of any right to pay by instalments and result in a surcharge.  Furthermore, it would result in the loss of an exemption or relief, if previously granted.

Note: The correct CIL form must be submitted.  This is different from any similar form required by Building Control or Planning Enforcement.

What is classed as commencement?

Commencement is classed as any material operation that is carried out on the relevant land, which includes:

  • the erection of a building
  • demolition of a building
  • digging of a trench
  • laying of underground pipes or mains
  • any operation to construct a road
  • any change in the use of land that is classed as material development.

Stage 5 - Demand notice (responsibility of Council)

How and when CIL payments are required

Once the Charging Authority receive a Commencement Notice with the intended commencement date, or the Charging Authority deem a chargeable development to have commenced, it will issue a Demand Notice on each person liable to pay. The Demand Notice will state the amount of CIL to be paid, and when and how it should be paid. 

We have an instalment policy in place which allows larger CIL payments to be spread over several instalments.

Note: If the date given on the Commencement Notice is delayed, the applicant/agent can issue a further Commencement Notice (using Form 6, see Stage 4).

Phased applications

If you are undertaking a development in phases, and you have overpaid against an earlier phase, you may make a Phased Credit Application to roll the overpayment forward to later phases.

Stage 6 - Self-Build exemption only

For those that have qualified for Self-Build exemption

Within 6 months of the date of the compliance certificate being issued for the development, those that have qualified for Self Build Exemption must issue the Council with the Self-Build Exemption Claim Form Part 2 (Form 7).