Skip to main content

Changes to a tenancy

Name change

We will agree to amend your tenancy following a name change, as long as you can provide sufficient legal evidence. This can be provided by a deed poll, marriage certificate or civil partnership documentation.

We will process your application and tell you our decision.

Joint to sole tenancy

When ending a joint tenancy, the remaining tenant will be liable for any rent arrears relating to the tenancy.

The relinquishing tenant will remain jointly and severally liable for any arrears on the account up to the date the tenancy is transferred to a sole tenancy. 

In order to consider removing a tenant from a tenancy we MUST be provided with contact and address details of the relinquishing tenant, otherwise we will be unable to process the application.

In the event that you do not have contact details for the relinquishing tenant then you may need to apply for a court order to amend the tenancy.  

We will process your application and tell you our decision.

Sole to joint tenancies

We may agree to the creation of a joint tenancy between a spouse or partner. Each case is considered on its own merits. Permission will normally be granted unless:

  • There has been a breach of the tenancy agreement, especially if this is due to rent arrears or anti-social behaviour
  • If a Notice of Seeking Possession has been served, where proceedings have been commenced or where a court has made an order for possession, whether outright, suspended or postponed
  • Spouse/partner is under 18 years of age
  • Partner has lived in the property for less than 12 months
  • There has been a previous joint tenancy
  • The proposed joint tenant has an existing tenancy elsewhere or currently owns a property.
  • The proposed joint tenant has current or former rent arrears with any social landlord
  • It cannot be determined that there is a committed partnership
  • The proposed joint tenant has financial means that exceed the financial criteria within the Allocations policy.

Tenant's partner/spouse must be able to provide sufficient evidence of occupancy.

We will process your application and tell you our decision.

Termination of tenancy

If you wish to end your tenancy, you must provide 28 days notice of your intention to terminate your tenancy. 

You must remove all goods, furniture and personal effects from the property and ensure that you return your keys to the Town Hall by 12 noon on the Monday on which you wish to terminate your tenancy.

An inspection of the property will be required prior to the actual termination date. If you fail to arrange access or there is property damage on inspection that is considered to be tenant responsibility, you will be liable for additional costs.

Succession of tenancy

If you die, your partner, spouse or civil partner may be able to succeed to your tenancy, subject to meeting the relevant criteria. 

They must be permanently living in your home for at least 12 months. This is what we call a 'succession to tenancy'. In this case, the person wishing to take over the tenancy will need to complete the online form below:

We will process your application and tell you our decision.

If the person who takes over your tenancy dies, no one living with them will have an automatic right to take over the tenancy in the same way. In this instance, you should contact the Council for further advice.

Any other changes to your tenancy

You must contact the housing office immediately if there are any changes to your tenancy, or any changes to the people who are living with you at the property.

If you do not tell the council of any changes you may be in breach of the terms of your tenancy agreement.

Report a death
If you wish to report the death of a Brentwood resident, please complete the online form below, which will allow you to inform the different areas within Brentwood Borough Council. We will also require a copy of the death certificate.