The Brentwood Local Plan 2016-2033 was adopted on 23 March 2022. This Plan forms part of the statutory development plan, which means it has full weight in determining planning applications.
The Plan identifies locations to deliver local housing needs and supporting infrastructure, such as employment, retail, leisure, community and transport. It allocates land for appropriate development, sets out planning policies and an overall strategy to guide decisions on the location, pattern, scale, and quality of development.
Please see below the adopted Local Plan.
Development proposals should take account of both the Local Plan and the following documents, which are all part of the Development Plan for our administrative area:
We have also published other documents as part of the Local Plan adoption:
- The Final Inspectors' Report
- Local Plan Adoption Statement
- Sustainability Appraisal Adoption Statement
Sustainability Appraisal Reports
- Core Strategy Issues and Options SA (Nov 2009)
- Sustainability Appraisal (SA) of the Brentwood Borough Local Plan Scoping Report (May 2013)
- Sustainability Appraisal (SA) of the Brentwood Borough Local Plan Interim SA Report (Aug 2013)
- Sustainability Appraisal (SA) of the Brentwood Borough Local Plan Interim SA Report (Jan 2015)
- Draft Local Plan Interim Sustainability Appraisal (Feb 2016)
- Draft Local Plan Preferred Site Allocations Interim Sustainability Appraisal (Jan 2018)
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Pre Submission Local Plan (Jan 2019)
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Addendum of Focussed Changes to the Pre Submission Local Plan (Oct 2019)
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Brentwood Local Plan (Oct 2019)
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Brentwood Local Plan SA Report Addendum (Sep 2021)
Local plan examination & previous local plan documents
All documentation from the local plan examination is available to view on the local plan examination webpages.
Online versions of documents produced since 2013 and consultation comments received can be viewed on our local plan consultation portal.
We have undertaken research to inform the policy documents that make up the Local Plan. The research is called the 'Evidence Base'.
The Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) sets out how the Council will engage with the wider community on preparation and review of Local Plan documents, and when considering and determining planning applications. It sets out what the Council is seeking community involvement on, how and when the community will be involved, and who will be involved.
The current Brentwood Borough SCI can be viewed below: