Local Development Plan
The Council is currently preparing a new Local Plan for the Borough which, once adopted, will supersede saved policies in the current Replacement Local Plan (2005).
The Plan will set out polices, proposals and site allocations to guide future development in the Borough. It will enable the Council to manage growth while protecting key areas. Among other things, the Plan will include policies to deliver:
- Housing and economic growth requirements;
- Retail, leisure and other commercial development;
- Infrastructure for transport and utilities (such as energy, telecoms, and water);
- Local community facilities (such as local shops, schools and healthcare);
- Conservation and protection of the natural and historic environment; and
- Climate change and provision of renewable energy.
Consultation on the Draft Local Plan Preferred Site Allocations is now closed. The Council invited comments on the Draft Local Plan Preferred Site Allocations between 29 January and 12 March 2018. You can view the document by clicking on the link below:
You can also view a PDF version of the Draft Local Plan Preferred Site Allocations document.
The Interim Sustainability Appraisal (SA) accompanying the Draft Local Plan Preferred Site Allocations is also available to view on the Sustainability Appraisal webpage.
Links to Local Development Plan supporting documents are provided under 'Supporting Information' below, including work so far.
The Local Development Scheme (LDS) sets out the Council's timetable for preparing the Local Plan and other planning policy documents. The most recent version was approved in November 2018 and can be viewed below.
It is vital that the Local Plan is supported by up-to-date and robust evidence. Several technical studies have been undertaken to inform the emerging Local Plan and provide evidence when considering planning applications. The Plan is also supported by other documents set out below.
- Work so far
- Sustainability Appraisal (SA)
- Planning guidance documents
- Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
- Statement of Community Involvement (SCI)
The following Council meetings and committees relevant to Local Plan preparation have been held recently or are upcoming:
- Extraordinary Council: 15 November 2017
- Extraordinary Council: 13 December 2017
- Ordinary Council: 17 January 2018
- Extraordinary Council: 08 November 2018
Threat of Government Intervention
In November 2017 the Council received a letter from the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government regarding the potential for Government intervention in the Brentwood plan-making process. The Council made a full response on 31 January 2018 in line with the deadlines set by Government. Copies of correspondence are available to view below:
- DCLG Intervention Letter, 16 November 2017
- Brentwood BC Initial Response, 21 November 2017
- Brentwood BC Full Response, 31 January 2018
- MHCLG Intervention Letter, 23 March 2018