Building Control Services
On behalf of Brentwood Borough Council, Building Control ensures that newly erected or altered buildings, whether residential, commercial or industrial, are safe and fit for people to live and work in.
The key functions of Building Control Services are:
Building Regulations - These deal mainly with Health and Safety matters in the interest of the people who will use the building.
- Structural stability
- Fire safety
- Site preparation, resistance to contaminants and resistance to moisture
- Toxic substances
- Sound resistance
- Drainage and waste disposal
- Heat producing appliances
- Protection from falling, collision and impact
- Conservation of fuel and power
- Glazing safety
- Access to and use of buildings
- Electrical safety
In addition to the above functions Building Control Services also deal with:
- Dangerous structures
Please complete our questionnaire to enable us to monitor and improve our service to meet the needs of you, the customer.
If your application involves electrical works, it is important that these works are carried out by a registered electrician, and a Part P Electrical Certificate will be required before a Completion Certificate is issued for your works. Please see the two links below for further information on how to ensure safe work is carried out by a registered electrician or checked by one:
- Find a registered electrician - A register of electricians belonging to the various CPS schemes www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/
- General guidance - For general advice, guidance and information in easy to understand formats www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice