White Sack - Cans and Plastic
Every other week, you will need to put out your WHITE RECYCLING SACK, containing cans and plastic for recycling.
What can I put in my white recycling sack?
- Food, drink tins and cans (lids inside please)
- Aerosols (no lids please)
- Foil and foil trays (no food traces please)
- Plastic bottles from your kitchen and bathroom (wash, squash and replace the lid)
- Plastic tubs and pots e.g. margarine, yoghurt
- Plastic food trays (not black please)
What cannot be included?
- Food waste - food packages must be clean
- Beverage cartons or cups e.g. Tetrapak
- Foil pouches or crisp packets
- Glass (please use the red box provided)
- Bubble wrap, polystyrene or cling film
- Nappies – used or unused
- Textiles (please us the textile collection service)
- Any type of PPE such as masks/gloves/gowns used or unused
- Hard plastic items (toys, cd cases, coat hangers, plant pots etc.,)
- Gas containers, paint tins, pots and pans
- No sharp metal objects e.g. needles, utensils and tools (such as knives, forks, screwdrivers)
Why can we no longer recycle Tetrapak?
The MRF (Materials Recovery Facility) that we deliver our recyclables to no longer accept Tetrapak as a recyclable material, as is the case with many other MRF operators. Tetrapak is made up of layers of different material that are difficult to sort from other 3D containers. There is a secondary processor in the UK who shred the material to recover the fibre, but the LDPE and the aluminium content is lost as residual waste. Last year, Tetrapak accounted for less than 1% of the dry recycling we collected, whereas paper and card can be up to 70% with cans and plastic at 20%. We are, however, constantly working with the MRFs to review the recyclables that are accepted as well as exploring alternative solutions to provide residents with the facility to recycle Tetrapak. We will keep our web pages updated with any changes.
Need another reusable recycling sack, food waste caddy or red box for glass?
Please complete our Order a Recycling Receptacle online form.
Not sure when your WHITE week is or what else to put out on the same day?
- Please make sure you place the specified materials loose and directly into the correct sack.
- Please only use the reusable recycling sacks supplied by us, as any other type will not be accepted.
- Remember to always close the top of the sack to keep the contents dry.
- Please put your items out for collection by 7:30am on your collection day.
- View our How to Recycle video