Amusements with Prizes
The Gambling Act 2005 makes special provision for various types of gaming in certain premises with an alcohol licence. These exemptions, which are set out in sections 279 to 284 of the Act, apply only where:
- there is a Premises Licence under the Licensing Act 2003 which authorises the supply of alcohol for consumption on the licensed premises
- which contain a bar at which alcohol is served without a requirement that it is served only with food
- and at a time when alcohol can be served under the Premises Licence.
There is an automatic entitlement for one or two gaming machines of Category C or D provided that:
- the licence holder sends the Licensing Authority written notice of his intention to make gaming machines available under Section 282 (1) and the prescribed fee.
- any relevant provision of a code of practice about the location and operation of a gaming machine is complied with.
For more than two Category C or D gaming machines, a licensed premises gaming machine permit issued by the Licensing Authority is required.
In certain circumstances the Licensing Authority can make an order ‘disapplying’ the automatic entitlement in respect of individual premises if problems occur.
For further information please contact the Licensing Section by emailing email@example.com