- This Website
- Business Rates
Support, Advice and Funding
Information for businesses
Applications for COVID-19 Small Business Funding Grants and Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grants are now open, please go to our Business Rates web page for information on how to apply.
The Chancellor has set out a package of temporary, timely and targeted measures to support public services, people and businesses through this period of disruption caused by COVID-19.
This includes a package of measures to support businesses including:
- a Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- a Self-employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS)
- deferring VAT payments
- Income Tax deferral for the self-employed
- a Statutory Sick Pay relief package for SMEs
- a 12-month business rates holiday for all retail, hospitality and leisure businesses in England
- a 12-month business rates holiday for nursery businesses in England
- small business grant funding of £10,000 for all business in receipt of small business rate relief or rural rate relief
- grant funding of £25,000 for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with property with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000
- the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme offering loans of up to £5 million for SMEs through the British Business Bank is now accepting applications
- a new lending facility from the Bank of England to help support liquidity among larger firms, helping them bridge coronavirus disruption to their cash flows through loans
- the HMRC Time To Pay Scheme
- a 3-month extension period to file company accounts during COVID-19
Guidance, eligibility and how to access each scheme is being updated on a regular basis by government.
Guidance on further businesses and premises to close
View the current guidance on which businesses and premises must close and the exceptions to each category.
Guidance for tradespeople
Work carried out in people’s homes, for example by tradespeople carrying out repairs and maintenance, can continue, provided that the tradesperson is well and has no symptoms. Read the full government guidance before carrying out any work.
Extra protection for businesses with ban on evictions for commercial tenants who miss rent payments
The government has announced that no business will be forced out of their premises if they miss a payment in the next 3 months.
Online retail and postal services
Online retail is still open and encouraged and postal and delivery service will run as normal.
Helpful resources for employers and employees
- Government guidance on social distance measures (pdf)
- Coronavirus business support from government
- COVID-19: guidance for employees
- Support for businesses from outside of government
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) business support FAQs
- Guidance for employers and businesses on coronavirus (pdf poster)
- You can contact the government’s Business Support Helpline for free advice on 0300 456 3565. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm.
- HMRC operates a helpline for businesses on 0800 0159 559.
Receive alerts about local business support
Sign up to receive alerts from Brentwood Borough Council about coronavirus (COVID-19) business support.
Contact the Brentwood Borough Council Economic Development team
If you need further assistance email firstname.lastname@example.org with your enquiry.
Last updated: 26 March 2020