Work So Far
The Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 introduced a system of Local Development Frameworks (LDF). The LDF comprised separate Development Plan Documents and Supplementary Planning Documents. The Council began producing two Development Plan Documents on the Core Strategy and Planning for Gypsies & Travellers.
There have been various changes to the planning system since 2010. In response to these changes the Council resolved to align the Core Strategy, Site Specific Allocations and Gypsies and Travellers DPD as part of a new "Brentwood Local Development Plan".
Work carried out to date in support of the Local Development Plan is set out below. Where required Sustainability Appraisals have also been prepared.
Core Strategy Issues and Options
The first stage of consultation on Issues and Options, Pathway to a Sustainable Brentwood, took place in late 2009. The consultation document, leaflet, and analysis of consultation responses can be viewed below:
- Issues and Options Consultation Document (2009)
- Issues and Options Consultation Leaflet
- Part 1 Analysis of Pathway to a Sustainable Brentwood - Main Report
- Part 1 Analysis of Pathway to a Sustainable Brentwood - Appendices
- Part 2 Analysis of Pathway to a Sustainable Brentwood
As part of the Council’s work towards a new Local Development Plan, and to reflect the localism agenda, a Borough-wide consultation with individual neighbourhoods was undertaken. The Neighbourhood Consultation took place in summer 2011. The consultation gave local residents, business and other members of the community an opportunity to put forward their views, aspirations and priorities for their area and influence the Borough's planning policies. Reports on the consultation events and findings can be viewed below:
- Summary of Report on Neighbourhood Consultation Events
- Report on Neighbourhood Consultation Events
- Summary of Report on Neighbourhood Consultation Findings
- Report on Neighbourhood Consultation Findings
There were a number of information sheets and background documents that helped inform the consultation, which can be viewed in the Council's Document Library.
Local Plan Preferred Options
Consultation on the Local Plan 2015-2030 Preferred Options took place between July and October 2013. The consultation document can be viewed below along with supporting documents and consultation statement.
- Local Plan Preferred Options 2015-2030 (2013)
- Preferred Options: Draft Policies Map
- Preferred Options: Individual Site Allocations Maps
- Preferred Options: Site Assessments
- Preferred Options: West Horndon Opportunity Area
- Preferred Options: Consultation Statement (2014)
Strategic Growth Options
The Strategic Growth Options consultation document provided an overview of the main issues to be considered as part of preparing the Local Development Plan, including spatial options and specific sites. Public consultation took place between January and February 2015. The consultation document and supporting documents can be viewed below.
- Strategic Growth Options (2015)
- Strategic Growth Options: Executive Summary
- Strategic Growth Options: Consultation Suggested Sites Map
- Strategic Growth Options: Consultation Statement (2016)
Dunton Garden Suburb Consultation
The Dunton Garden Suburb consultation document has been prepared jointly by Brentwood and Basildon Borough Councils. It sets out a potential development opportunity on land to the east of West Horndon (in Brentwood Borough) and west of Laindon (in Basildon Borough). For more information please see the Dunton Garden Suburb webpage.
Draft Local Plan
The Brentwood Draft Local Plan consultation document set out a proposed draft vision, objectives, planning policies and land allocations for future development in the Borough up to 2033. Public consultation took place between February and March 2016. The consultation document and supporting documents can be viewed below. A consultation statement setting out details about the consultation and how people responded will be available to view here shortly.
- Draft Local Plan (2016)
- Draft Plan Supporting Document: Pattern Book
- Draft Plan Supporting Document: Site Allocation Maps
Planning for Gypsies and Travellers
The Council was previously required to address Gypsy and Traveller accommodation needs in the Borough through the preparation of a Gypsies and Travellers Development Plan Document.
The first stage of Issues and Options consultation was during July-September 2007. A second stage consultation took place during May-July 2008. This was in response to several sites suggested to the Council as potential permanent residential Gypsy and Traveller sites during the first stage of Issues and Options consultation.
In March 2009, the Council resolved that it would be in the best interest of the Borough to provide 15 additional permanent residential Gypsy and Traveller pitches by 2011, as required in the now revoked regional plan. Consultation on proposed sites took place during December 2009-February 2010.
All consultation documents prepared as part of planning for Gypsies and Travellers before this was combined within the Local Development Plan can be viewed below.