Local Development Plan
The Council is currently preparing a new Local Plan for the Borough which, once adopted, will supersede saved policies in the current Replacement Local Plan (2005).
The Plan will set out polices, proposals and site allocations to guide future development in the Borough. It will enable the Council to manage growth while protecting key areas. Among other things, the Plan will include policies to deliver:
- Housing and economic growth requirements;
- Retail, leisure and other commercial development;
- Infrastructure for transport and utilities (such as energy, telecoms, and water);
- Local community facilities (such as local shops, schools and healthcare);
- Conservation and protection of the natural and historic environment; and
- Climate change and provision of renewable energy.
The Brentwood Draft Local Plan public consultation took place between February and March 2016. A consultation statement setting out details about the consultation and how people responded is available to view by clickng here.
The next stage of Local Plan consultation is due to start in late January 2018. Further details will be provided here in due course and committee papers relating to the consultation can be found on the Council's Democracy pages.
Past consultation documents can be viewed online using the Consultation Portal link below:
Links to Local Development Plan supporting documents are provided under 'Supporting Information' below, including work so far.
Updates on Local Development Plan preparation can be viewed in the newsletters below. Previous newsletters are available to view on the Council's Document Library.
The Local Development Scheme (LDS) sets out the Council's timetable for preparing the Local Plan and other planning policy documents. The current version was approved in July 2015 and can be viewed below.
It is vital that the Local Plan is supported by up-to-date and robust evidence. Several technical studies have been undertaken to inform the emerging Local Plan and provide evidence when considering planning applications. The Plan is also supported by other documents set out below.
- Work so far
- Sustainability Appraisal (SA)
- Planning guidance documents
- Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
- Statement of Community Involvement (SCI)
The following Council meetings and committees relevant to Local Plan preparation have been held recently or are upcoming:
- Extraordinary Council: 15 November 2017
- Extraordinary Council: 13 December 2017
- Ordinary Council: 17 January 2018
Threat of Government Intervention
In November 2017 the Council received a letter from the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government regarding the potential for Government intervention in the Brentwood plan-making process. The Council will be making a full respnse in line with the deadlines set by Government. Related correspondence to date is available to view below: