- This Website
Other help available
Discretionary housing payments
If the Council considers that you require further financial assistance you may be awarded a ‘Discretionary Housing Payment’.
Further information on Discretionary Payments can be found here:
If you qualify for the maximum amount of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support payable - or you would do if not for the amount of any non-dependant deductions made from your entitlement - you may qualify for Income Support. If you are a lone parent working less than 16 hours per week, a pensioner or are unable to work through illness and think you may qualify for Income Support, you should contact the Benefits Agency.
Child tax credit
Child Tax Credit is administered by the HM Revenue and Customs. For information please go to the Gov.UK website.
Working tax credit
Working Tax Credit is administered by the HM Revenue and Customs. For information please go to the Gov.UK website.
If you are on a low income, are disabled or a pensioner, there may be additional help available to you. For information and details of the amount of various state benefits available please go to the GOV.UK website.
Contact the Citizens Advice Bureau for independent advice: Citizens Advice Bureau, Town Hall, Ingrave Road, Brentwood, Tel. 01277 222888
- Age UK Essex - Formerly Age Concern, Age UK is an independent local charity working with and for senior citizens in Essex. 01245 346106 www.ageuk.org.uk
- Business Debt Line - A business helpline providing free, confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems. 0800 197 6026
- Concessionary Transport Fares - Brentwood residents who are concessionary bus pass holders can now travel on buses from 9am for free on journeys that start in Essex. However, this does not include travel on long distance or express coach services or “special” services such as tours or excursions. For further details call 0845 200 0388 or apply for a bus pass online.
- Citizens Advice Bureau - An independent voluntary organisation offering a comprehensive, confidential and free information, advice and advocacy service. 08454 04 05 06 www.adviceguide.org.uk
- Civil Legal Advice - Free and confidential legal advice. 0345 345 4345 GOV.UK
- Stepchange - formerly the Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) - Stepchange offer a structured programme on how to manage your money. They offer a debt remedy plan an anonymous service that will give you sound advice and budget planning 24/7. 0800 138 1111 (freephone) www.cccs.co.uk
- Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre - Provides free impartial advice on ways to save money on fuel bills and on grant schemes for insulation and heating works. 0300 123 1234 www.energysavingtrust.org.uk
- Job Centre Plus - Jobs and benefits advice. 0345 604 3719 www.gov.uk/jobsearch
- National Debt Line - Free confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems. 0808 808 4000 National debt line
- Payplan - Free confidential advice on debt problems. 0800 280 2816 (or 0207 760 8980) www.payplan.com
- Shelter - A homelessness charity that runs a homelessness helpline, has a network of housing aid centres and works with the local Citizens Advice Bureau. 0808 800 4444 calls are free from UK landlines and most mobile providers www.shelter.org.uk
- Stop Loan Sharks - If you are the victim of a loan shark, help and support is available - please do not suffer in silence Stop Loan Sharks
- Brentwood Borough Council - 01277 312500 for general enquiries or email firstname.lastname@example.org