- External Websites
- Guide to Extending Your Home
Building Regulations Process
Am I required to make a Building Regulations application?
The majority of building work requires consent under the Building Regulations; however some types of minor works are not subject to control (see guidance notes below).
For guidance on the types of application available, please view our Guidance Notes.
Further building regulation guidance can be found on the Planning Portal. Below are some of the common projects available, please go to the Planning Portal for the full list:
- House extension
- Patio and driveway
- Garage conversion
- Loft conversion
- Solar panels
Make a Building Regulations Application
To make an application for Building Control Services, please select the appropriate online form:
- Building Notice - online application
- Full Plans Submission - online application
- Regularisation Certificate - online application
- Notice of Intended Demolition - online notice
Alternatively, you may download and print a pdf application form:
- Building Notice - pdf application
- Full Plans Submission - pdf application
- Regularisation Certificate - pdf application
- Notice of Intended Demolition - pdf notice
Applications can be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. On receipt of the completed application form, PDF drawings and specification details, Building Control Admin will phone you for the required payment.
Please see Building Regulation Scheme of Charges (Fees) or call 01277 312500 for advice on our fees.
Site inspections are carried out to establish that the requirements of the Building Regulations have been met. A completion certificate is issued on the satisfactory completion of the project. Further information and how to request a site inspection can be found on the Site Inspections web page.
If your application involves electrical works, it is important that these works are carried out by a registered electrician, and a Part P Electrical Certificate will be required before a Completion Certificate is issued for your works. Please see the two links below for further information on how to ensure safe work is carried out by a registered electrician or checked by one:
- Find a registered electrician - A register of electricians belonging to the various CPS schemes www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/
- General guidance - For general advice, guidance and information in easy to understand formats www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice
For further advice please telephone 01277 312500