Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2020/2021
What is Council Tax Support?
Council Tax Support is a reduction in Council Tax for residents on a low income.
Brentwood’s current local Council Tax Support scheme is 4 schemes in 1:
1) Pensioners – receive up to 100% support
2) Enhanced scheme – households with a disabled resident – receive up to 100% support
3) Employed working aged scheme – where a claimant or partner works over 16hrs per week – can receive up to 100% support
4) Other scheme – all other Council Tax Support claimants – receive up to 80% support
- For all four schemes, where a customer has over £16,000 no award of support is made.
- All schemes are means tested.
What is this consultation about?
- Each year the Council has to decide whether to change the Council Tax Support scheme for working age residents in the Borough. Residents of pension age cannot be affected as they are protected from any restrictions by Central Government.
- For next year, from 1st April 2020, the Council would like to consider changes to bring the Council Tax reduction scheme in line with welfare reform changes.
- This consultation is in respect of Brentwood’s proposed Council Tax Reduction scheme from 1st April 2020.
Who could the outcome of this consultation affect?
- Residents who are of working age that currently receive Council Tax Support and residents that may apply in the future.
Who will the outcome of this consultation ‘not’ affect?
- Residents of pension age will not be affected as they are protected from any restrictions by Central Government.
- Residents who do not claim Council Tax Support.
To complete the consultation questions please select the link below: