Planning - Accredited Planning Agent Scheme
Our Brentwood Accredited Planning Agents Scheme is open to agents that submit householder development applications within Brentwood.
Recognising good quality
The scheme is our way of promoting and recognising the submission of good quality planning applications.
Benefits of becoming an accredited agent are:
- the planning applications you submit will be registered promptly with minimal checks
- your applications will enter a fast-track process that enables us to validate and progress them swiftly
- you will be publicised on our list of accredited agents and your details will be available to the public through our website
How to apply
If you would like to become an accredited agent for planning applications in Brentwood, you should state this clearly when submitting your next householder applications. The applications should comply with both National and Local Validation requirements. We will record your details and check your subsequent applications for validity and against the criteria of the scheme.
Once we are satisfied we've received 3 consecutive applications with no errors, you will be invited to become an accredited agent – we will ask you to sign an accreditation agreement and you will be given Brentwood Accredited Planning Agent status.
If, during the accreditation process, an application doesn't meet the validation requirements, you will be informed and the necessary information sought. The application will then be processed in the normal way and the accreditation process will start again from the next application submitted.
Alternative arrangements may be considered for those who submit fewer than 5 householder applications per year, at our discretion.
Whilst accreditation is our recognition for agents that submit good quality applications, the status is not intended to reflect an agent's skill or qualifications. It does not imply that the applications they submit are any more or less likely to obtain permission.
Terms and conditions
1. All applications must be submitted electronically using the appropriate scale bars.
2. Each application that is submitted must accord with our published validation checklist and all documentation must be prepared in accordance with the stipulated criteria.
3. Where payment is not submitted via Planning Portal concurrently with the application, the agent must provide details of the payment including date, method, payer name, and any other information as required to identify the payment, or there may be delays in processing otherwise valid applications.
4. If errors are found in an application following registration, the agent will be contacted and the application will count as a failure.
5. Removal of accreditation shall occur if either:
- on any second occasion within any 6 month period the application submitted under the terms of the scheme is found to have significant errors in it in relation to the validation requirements
- the accredited agent ceases to trade or operate
- the accredited agent is deemed to have brought the accredited agent scheme into disrepute
6. The decision to remove accreditation shall be taken by the head of our planning service or their nominated officer.
7. If accreditation is to be removed, the agent will be informed in writing. The correspondence shall clearly indicate why accreditation has been removed and the date from which this takes effect. Once accreditation has been removed the accredited agent identity must not be used on any stationery, merchandise or publicity material.
8. If an agent disagrees with the reason for removal of accreditation, they have the right to appeal. Details of how to appeal will be included in correspondence.
9. The accredited agent may use the Brentwood Accredited Planning Agent identity solely for the purpose of displaying recognition as an accredited agent. It may be used only for so long as the agent remains accredited under the rules of the scheme.
10. The identity shall only be used, either:
- on stationery, promotional materials, merchandise, advertising and signage
- as permitted in writing by us
11. The accredited agent will not do anything to prejudice or to endanger the value or validity of the accredited agent identity.
12. The identity must only be used by the accredited agent and shall not be used by any affiliated companies or organisations.
By signing our accredited planning agent agreement, you agree to abide by the terms and conditions set out above for so long as you are recognised as an accredited agent under the Brentwood Accredited Planning agent scheme.