Events such as outdoor keep fit classes, boot camps, sponsored events such as charity walks and family fun days can be held in Brentwood Parks and Open Spaces (please note that for events in Thorndon and Weald Country Parks you need to contact Essex County Council). For larger scale events, please refer to our Advice on Organising an Event page.
Procedure for applying for permission to hold outdoor events on Council land
On deciding on your event and where you would like to hold the event you are required to read and sign the Terms and Conditions, complete the online application form (below), upload copies of required documents i.e. risk assessment, public liability insurance and DBS check of event staff who will come into direct contact with children at the event.
Do I require a licence?
If you are planning to provide entertainment (singing, music, dance, drama) and/or the sale of alcohol you will need to apply for a licence. You can download the application forms and detailed guidance on the Licensing Act 2003 from the Temporary Events Notices page.
Further information is available in the Licensing section of this website.
What happens when you receive my application?
- Once we have received your application, officers will assess the application and forward on their recommendation(s) to the Chairman of Community Panel and/or Vice Chairman for a decision under delegated powers. Ward Members will also be consulted on any application(s) in their ward and asked for feedback prior to decision. Note for larger events (i.e. 500 participants or more) will need to be referred to the Safety Advisory Group prior to decision.
- Officers will advise the applicant of the decision, if it is decided that the event is able to go ahead the hire fee will be requested in full prior to the event. For larger events a bond will also be required and held until after the event in case of damages to land. For details of fees see below.
- Litter picking post event – a fee for this will be mandatory for large events unless the applicant contracts to deal with litter. (Refer to fee schedule below)
- Refer to the Terms and Conditions in respect of damage to land, trees, property etc following an event. Officers will also assess grounds and any damage will be charged for.
- Agreed events will be listed on Brentwood Borough Council Website and/or the Discover Brentwood website.
Fees for 2018/19 - Hire of Public Open Spaces for other than Sport
Items marked * require a deposit, Bond or other mechanism to cover reinstatement costs in the event of damage
Note: Price is for use of the space, other licences are not included (see note above).
Price for use of large open spaces (King George's Playing Field and the Brentwood Centre)
- Large Events - Using more than 1/2 Field and over £5 highest admission price to residents* £2165.00 per day
- Medium events - use of more than 1/2 field and under £5 highest admission price* £758.00 per day
- Small events use of less than 1/2 field* £325.00 per day
- Keep fit sessions (no cordoning off of field) £39.00 + VAT per day
- or if regular classes can pay £159 + VAT (which would allow one class per week on open spaces)
- Litter picking post event £98.00 + VAT per day
- Non commercial or charitable events (following approval by ward members) * Have a 50% discount off above fees
Price for use of other open spaces less than 50 hectares
- Daily charge for use of space (following approval by Ward members) * £325 per day
Please note that King Georges Playing Fields can only be hired out during the months of June, July and August due to the winter sports season.
Essex County Council Country Parks (including Thorndon and Weald Country Parks)
The Essex County Council Parks Rangers organise a whole range of events to help you enjoy the Essex countryside.