We encourage you to discuss your plans with us before you submit your planning application. This can help you overcome potential difficulties and make sure your application covers everything that is needed.
The time and effort spent in preparing your plans and discussing them with us is more likely to result in a good quality and acceptable development. It will also help us to process your scheme more quickly.
Advice given through our pre-application advice service will not bind us to making any particular decision. The views expressed are those of the case officer only. The advice will only be applicable while there is no change in policy or other relevant circumstances.
This is not available on an ad-hoc basis and must be booked using our online application form provided below. The service is available both to applicants and agents.
Pre-Application Advice Fees
The fees are based on a sliding scale depending on the nature of the proposal.
The onus is on you to submit the correct fee at the time of submission and in the event that the fee is not received or is incorrect your request will not be registered.
Please Note: Any pre-application involving Listed Buildings will incur an additional £100 charge as specialist advice will be needed.
Householder - £80 (written response only)
- A single written response for householders living within Brentwood Borough and/or their agents concerning the extension or alteration of their dwelling (but not the redevelopment or replacement of their dwelling).
Please note, we will not enter into protracted correspondence, so please ensure that the information you require is made clear in your request.
Pre-application advice on works to protected trees and legal advice and support on Section 106 obligations can be provided at a cost to developers if the service is requested.
Band A - £100
- Operators of businesses within Brentwood Borough and/or their agents concerning the extension or alteration of their business premises, including the proposed display of advertisements relating to those premises (but not the redevelopment of their businesses premises).
- The owners or occupiers of listed buildings concerning structural alterations to their buildings or advice on repairs and other alterations (e.g. window replacement) that would require listed building consent.
Band B - £500
- Development comprising the extension or alteration of buildings, the construction of ten dwellings or fewer or non-residential development of less than 1000 sq m.
- The change of use of buildings resulting in equivalent accommodation or other development including the 'variation' of conditions or planning obligations
Band C - £1500
- Developments in excess of ten dwellings or 1000 sq m of non-residential development where one meeting is required.
- Change of use of equivalent accommodation
Band D - £negotiable
- Larger or more complex Band B or C developments where a developer may wish to embark on a programme of meetings.
Payment must be received before requesting advice.
You will receive an automated acknowledgement when you submit your request on line. We aim to formally acknowledge your enquiry within 5 working days from the date of receipt and provide a full response within the following timescales:
Householder, within 15 working days;
Band A or B, within 30 working days;
Band C or D, within 40 working days
Who will attend?
If the advice requested is in Band B, C or D, meetings will be attended by planning officers of an appropriate level of seniority and where necessary officers from other areas of responsibility (eg Environmental Health, historic environment, design officer). Services provided by Essex County Council (Highways, Urban Drainage Systems (SuDs)) have a separate charging schedule and you should contact them directly, details are on the Essex County Council web site.
Nature of advice
The advice given will be only in relation to planning matters in the context of National and Local Planning Policies and guidance. All advice will be given without prejudice to the consideration and determination of any application that may be submitted. The payment of a fee for advice will not influence the officer recommendation in relation to any application submitted. We do not advise on whether a proposed development falls under Permitted Development as there is a formal process for this determination.
After the meeting (Band B, C or D only)
The Planning Officer will prepare notes of the meeting including a summary of the advice given and these will be forwarded to the prospective developer within an agreed timescale.
If you wish to obtain advice, please take note of the applicable fee as you will be required to pay before submitting our online form.
You are required to provide drawings and a site location plan showing adjacent buildings. Photographs are helpful and providing relevant information will enable the planning officer to understand the issues to be discussed.
Please bear in mind that the level of advice which can be provided will depend on the quality and clarity of the information you provide. If it is unclear or general then we will not be able to offer detailed or specific advice.