1 in 6 people will currently be experiencing problems with their mental health. That means that even if you haven't experienced a mental health problem yourself, you almost certainly know many people who have.
Please see one of the links below for more information about tackling mental health issues.
Mental Health Challenge
The Mental Health Challenge has been set up by seven mental health charities who are working together to improve mental health across England. They are supporting and encouraging local authorities to take a proactive approach to this crucial issue.
We are proud to be the first Council in the Country to have all 37 Members sign up as Mental Health Champions. We are keen to ensure that people with mental health illnesses in our community are supported to access our services and have committed to fulfilling 7 aspects of the Mental Health Challenge:
1. Appoint an elected member as 'Mental Health Champion' across the Council' .
2. Identify a 'lead officer' for mental health to link in with colleagues across the Council.
3. Follow the implementation framework for the national mental health strategy where is relevant to the Council's work and local needs.
4. Work to reduce inequalities in mental health in our community.
5. Work with local partners to contribute to better support for people with mental health needs.
6. Promote well being and initiate and support action to promote good mental health
7. Tackle discrimination on the grounds of mental health in our community.
Our Lead Champion is Councillor Olivia Sanders.
Brentwood Mind is the largest voluntary sector provider of Mental Health services for the people of Brentwood.
Brentwood Mind also campaigns hard to promote mental health for Brentwood and that people adversely affected by their mental health do not suffer additional burdens of stigmatisation.
Brentwood Mind campaigns to ensure that Brentwood’s perspective is considered when national or local decisions are likely to have an impact on mental health in Brentwood.
For further information, please visit Brentwood Mind or call 0845 766 0163.
Brentwood Community Tree
The Community Tree is a group of key organisations working together to support people in our community with mental ill-health.
The group is designed to enable people to access more opportunities for mental well-being. Supported by the Brentwood Community Fund, a leaflet has been produced to create more awareness of support services available to help prevent crises from occurring.
The leaflet is available to download from this webpage. Hard copy leaflets are available from the Town Hall, local pharmacies, doctors' surgeries and Brentwood Library. Alternatively please visit Brentwood Community Tree.
In the meantime, if you need support, please contact your GP.
Alzheimer's Society is the UK's leading support and research charity for people with dementia, their families and carers. We provide information and support to people with any form of dementia and their carers through our publications, National Dementia Helpline, website, and local services.
Alzheimer's Society support services in the Basildon and Brentwood area include:
- Dementia Support Workers - Our Dementia Support Workers give personalised practical and emotional support to people with dementia and their carers.
- Dementia Support at Memory Clinics - Dementia Support Workers will provide information and support to people diagnosed with dementia and their families at the time of their diagnosis and will ensure that they have access to appropriate support and services to meet their needs.
- Activity Groups - A variety of groups offering entertainment, games or reminiscence to encourage stimulation and inclusion.
- Carer Information and Support Programme - A series of workshops for people caring for a family member or friend with dementia.
- Dementia Cafe - A place for people with dementia and their carers to share information and experiences, or to simply have a cup of tea and a chat.
- Peer Support - Support groups for people with dementia or carers and families.
- Singing for the Brain - A stimulating group activity, for people in the early to moderate stages of dementia and their carers, which can help with general well-being and confidence.
If you would like more information about any of our services, please get in touch. We're here to help.
Counselling Directory lists counsellors and psychotherapists.