Driver's Licence - Pre-Licensing Conditions
1.0 In order that licensed drivers are reliable and of a satisfactory standard, a person being considered for a driver's licence shall:
- 1.1 - have attained the age of 21 years;
- 1.2 - have held a full DVLA licence granted under the Road Traffic Acts to drive a motor car with a manual gear box, for not less than THREE years. (See Note 5);
- 1.3 - not have been disqualified from driving at any time within the immediately preceding TWO year period; A driver who has obtained a pass certificate from the Driving Standards Agency in respect of the Taxi/Private Hire Test Assessment is considered to be of a satisfactory standard regardless of the period which has been elapsed since disqualification;
- 1.4 - not have accumulated more than EIGHT penalty points endorsed upon his driving licence within the immediately preceding TWO year period;
- 1.5 - not have been cautioned for or convicted of a criminal offence involving the threat and/or use of violence and/or any offence of a sexual nature, unless that conviction is deemed spent by virtue of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974;
- 1.6 - not have been cautioned for or convicted of a criminal offence involving the element of dishonesty within the immediately preceding THREE year period, unless that conviction is deemed spent by /virtue of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974;
2.0 The applicant shall produce:
- 2.1 - his current valid DVLA driving licence on which is shown the applicant's home address;
- 2.2 - in the case of first application under these conditions only, either his birth certificate or current passport and, where there is a change of surname, either marriage certificate or deed poll, as appropriate;
- 2.3 - in the case of first application only, two satisfactory written references as to character from persons to whom the applicant shall have been recently known for a minimum period of TWO years. (See Note 1);
- 2.4 - a Medical Report in the form prescribed by the Council before the application shall be determined, unless a current Medical Report is held by the Council. In certain cases the Medical Report may be referred for further medical consultation or assessment;
3.0 Form of application
- 3.1 - The applicant shall satisfactorily complete an application form on which must be shown all cautions and convictions which by virtue of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 are deemed not to be spent. (See Note 2).
- 3.2 - The application form, together with all relevant documents, two passport size recent colour photographs of the applicant and the fee shall be presented in person by the applicant for the purpose of an interview with an authorised officer.
4.0 In the case of first application only, the applicant shall pass the Council's knowledge test on the first or subsequent occasions.
5.0 A person being considered for a Combined Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Vehicle Driver's Licence who has surrendered such a licence previously or who has not held one during the previous TWELVE months shall be treated as a person being considered for a licence on the first occasion.
References from relations of the applicant will not be accepted as suitable.
Applicants should be aware that the Council will make enquiries with regard to this application to the Criminal Records Bureau.
All relevant information will be taken into account when consideration is given to an application for a Combined Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Vehicle Driver's Licence and it may be that the standards and conditions are waived or varied or added to at the discretion of the Council.
The Council reserves the right to alter the number of penalty points specified in 1.4 hereto, to accord with any alteration made by Statute or Order by the Secretary of State.
The Deregulation (Taxis & Private Hire Vehicles) Order 1998 amends the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 to include Northern Ireland Driver Licences.
The Driving Licences (Community Driving Licence) Regulations 1996 also permits full driver licences issued by EC Member States to count towards the qualification requirement.
Schedule 1 - Interpretation
In these Conditions
"Licensed Driver" means "the holder of a combined hackney carriage & private hire vehicle driver's licence".
"Council" means "Brentwood Borough Council".