Funding for businesses
The Chancellor of the Exchequer announced ‘Restart’ business support grants in his Budget on 3 March 2021.
Applications closed on 30 June 2021.
Essex Business Adaptation Grants
Essex County Council has allocated £132,000 in financial support to help the businesses in the borough of Brentwood who have been impacted by COVID-19 restrictions. On 5 May, Brentwood Council received a £95,000 top-up from Essex County Council.
The funding will allow businesses to adapt their premises and operations so that they can continue to operate and generate an income during COVID-19.
Customer facing businesses including but not limited to hospitality and retail businesses and personal contact services will be able to apply for this scheme.
To qualify for this grant, your business is a business within the borough of Brentwood which:
- has fixed property related costs
- was open and trading on 4 November 2020
- was required to close or was severely impacted by the social restrictions imposed at HIGH Alert from 15 October 2020
- is categorised as micro, small or medium sized
- operates in a COVID secure way
- has a current and relevant certificate to show compliance with the laws and regulations relevant to its trade
Businesses cannot apply if
- they were in administration
- are insolvent
- were given a striking off notice at the date of the restriction.
- they have already received grant payments that equal the maximum levels of State Aid.
Grants of £500, £1,000 and £1,500 are available. We will award them based on individual business needs.
We will award a grant of £500 for:
- the production of promotional material to encourage customers to follow COVID secure guidelines (e.g. floor stickers, leaflets, adverts and signage)
training of staff on courses associated with the adaptations or changes
We will award a grant of £1,000 for:
- adjustments or improvements to the physical environment to help keep staff and customers safe (e.g. sanitiser stations, protective screens and barriers)
We will award a grant of £1,500 for:
- the creation and running of an online presence (e.g. a digital technology platform) in order to offer ‘click and collect’ or delivery services
- the purchase of equipment to diversify operation and generate income - examples include, but are not limited to:
- Outdoor furniture, canopies, patio heaters and lighting
- Relocation of existing internal fixtures and fittings
- Motion sensors on doors
- Cycles to provide a delivery service
Grant conditions: Businesses can spend this grant on items ordered after 15 October 2020 or up to 28 days after the grant award is made. Excluded items include PPE, hand sanitiser refills and disposable items.
Additional Restrictions Grants (incorporating the Essex Additional Business Support Grants)
This discretionary scheme is aimed at helping businesses which have had to close, or been able to trade but have been severely affected by the COVID-19 restrictions, regardless of whether they pay business rates.
Applications are currently closed.
Sign up to receive alerts when any future Additional Restrictions Grants may become available.