The government has set out its plans for autumn and winter 2021 for England in the COVID-19 Response: Autumn and Winter Plan pdf.
They include booster jabs for millions - but hold in reserve measures like vaccine passports for certain settings.
"Plan A" is designed to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed and promotes vaccines and testing.
"Plan B" is designed to be used if the NHS is coming under "unsustainable pressure", includes measures such as face masks.
Under Plan A of the autumn and winter plan, ministers will:
- encourage the unvaccinated to be jabbed
- offer vaccines to 12 to 15-year-olds
- begin a booster jab programme for millions
The plan will also include continuing testing, tracing of cases and self-isolation for those who catch the virus.
Businesses will also be encouraged to consider using the NHS Covid Pass to check the vaccination or test status of customers.
Under Plan B - which ministers say would only be enacted if further measures are needed to protect the NHS:
- the public would be urged to act more cautiously
- mandatory vaccine passports could be used for mass events and other settings
- face coverings could be legally mandated in some places
For further information please visit gov.uk