Business Rates are not payable in the first 3 months of a property becoming empty, this is extended to 6 months for certain industrial properties. After this period, to discourage properties standing empty for long periods of time, full rates are then payable.
This is unless the property falls into one of the following categories:
- The rateable value is less than £2,600.
- The property is held by a charity and when next in use will be occupied by a charity and used wholly or mainly for charitable purposes.
- The property is held by a Community Amateur sports Club and when next in use will be occupied by a registered club and used wholly or mainly for the purposes of that club.
- The owner is prohibited by law from occupying the property.
- The owner is prohibited by action taken by the crown, or any other local or public authority from occupying the property.
- The property is included in the schedule of monuments complied under s.1 of the Ancient Monument and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.
- The owner is a company subject to a winding up order made under the insolvency act 1986.
- The property is a listed buildings.
Please contact our billing team on 01277 312500 should you require more information.