Brentwood Borough Council

Brentwood Borough Council

Quick Links

Skip Navigation | Home page | Site map | Search | Help | Complaints procedure | Disclaimer | Feedback | Access key details
Brentwood Borough Council

FOI 5718



Under the Freedom of Information Act, how much supported housing does the Local Authority currently operate or commission by individual property; and, 2 how many of these are monitored ‘dry’ accommodation free from drugs and alcohol?

By BY supported housing I mean local authority accommodation into which people are placed which is shared with other people. For example, they have room to themselves on a corridor with other people being housed by the council. People housed in such properties tend to be from vulnerable groups, e.g., those with addiction issues, homelessness, and young parents. A half-way house is terminology used sometimes used.

2) The question refers to whether any of the above properties run or commissioned by the local authority are monitored to ensure illicit drugs and alcohol are not being taken and used into the home, and how many of the above properties permit alcohol and do not check for illicit drug abuse.

3) My request refers to all relevant properties run by the local authority. The local DAAT should hold this information or the housing team.


In response to your Freedom of Information request in regard monitoring of shared accommodation, I can confirm that this Authority does currently use a small number of shared accommodation properties for use of temporary accommodation for homeless applicants.

All applicants are assessed individually to determine whether they are considered acceptable to be placed into this type of accommodation, i.e. any known risk issues which include alcohol/drugs.

These properties are monitored by the Accommodation Officer on a regular basis, particularly if there are issues of excessive alcohol being consumed which in turn creates ASB nuisance. The use of illicit drugs is not permitted in any property and action would be taken against any tenant when advised of this occurring. In relation to alcohol there is no specific ban of alcohol in place and applicants would be able to consume alcohol on the premises provided this does not cause ASB or other nuisance issues.