Brentwood Borough Council

Brentwood Borough Council

Quick Links

Skip Navigation | Home page | Site map | Search | Help | Complaints procedure | Disclaimer | Feedback | Access key details
Brentwood Borough Council

FOI 5611

Display Energy Certificates


Freedom of Information request in respect of Display Energy Certificates

The Property and Energy Professionals Association (PEPA) is a not for profit trade association whose members are engaged in the provision of Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) and Display Energy Certificates (DECs), and oversight of the accredited energy assessors that provide

PEPA has serious concerns about the lack of enforcement of the regulations enacting the Energy Performance in Buildings Directive (EPBD) and the resulting lack of compliance, and in particular in
respect of DECs.

It is clear that many local authorities are not complying with the EPBD regulations in respect of procuring and renewing DECs and that Trading Standards Officers within those authorities are not discharging their responsibilities for ensuring compliance with the regulations. We are
aware that the Government has allocated significant funds to local authorities for the purpose of ensuring compliance with the EPBD regulations.

We are now making a request to you under the Freedom of Information Act for the following information:

Full address details of any property within your authority which does not have a current DEC as required by the EPBD regulations.

Further to this request, but not as part of it, we are aware that there are many authorities that do comply with the regulations and indeed use DECs in a constructive way to help improve the energy efficiency of their buildings and reduce costs. If your authority is one of these we would be very interested to receive any information you are prepared to share with us to evidence the benefits of the constructive use of DECs. It would be our intention to highlight and congratulate such authorities
in the public domain, subject to their agreement of course.

We should be grateful if you would also indicate the state of readiness in your authority to comply with the extension of the EPBD regulations to cover public buildings that exceed 500 square metres (previously the lower limit was 1,000 square metres) with effect from January 2013.


In response to your questions I can advise you that the only property which requires a DEC is the Town Hall and that has a current DEC displayed in the main entrance. Other buildings that may require a DEC would come under Brentwood Leisure Trust who manage the Utilities of those buildings and would provide the DEC as required.

The Council is in the process of remodelling the Town Hall and will no doubt use the DEC constructively when considering energy efficiency for the refurbishment of the building in terms of insulation, glazing and utility costs management.