Being mindful in the cuts to local authority services that have occurred as a result of the coalition government’s austerity measures I would seek the following information under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act.
1) What is the total number of elected members in your authority?
2) If you have a cabinet system in operation at your authority how many of these elected members are members of the Cabinet?
3) What is the total cost of the elected members to your authority including payments for special duties, special purposes, expenses other payments including such items as IT equipment, telephones, travelling etc.?
4) Has the cost referred to in 3 above increased or decreased in 2012/13 compared to 2011/11. (Please include the budgeted amount when answering for 2012/13.)
5) What is the annual payment to:
a) Cabinet Members
b) Chairs of Committees
d) Other member posts?
6) As a result of austerity measures taken by your authority has the number of Member posts reduced and if so what effect has this had on the cost to your authority?
1) 37 Members
3) For 12/13, the current allowances in force are:
Basic Allowance - @ £218,502.00 pa
Special Responsibility Allowances - @ £ 71,711.22 pa
Refreshments at Meetings £200
Travelling & Subsistence £2,500
Mobile Phones £380.83
4) The published allowances for 11/12 were:
Basic Allowance - £220,917.15
Special Responsibility Allowance - £ 57,722.20
Refreshments at Meetings 0
Travelling & Subsistence 0
Mobile Phones £2,227.95
As for computer equipment we re-use our current laptops, so no laptops were specifically purchased for any councillors, although 3 of our new laptop have been issued to them. Each laptop was about £450.
5) a) N/A
b) 6 @ £5266.09; 2 @ £2707.50 (plus Basic Allowance)
c) All members receive Basic Allowance:
35 @ £5950.80
2 @ £5112.00 (reduction requested by members)
d) Other Special Responsibility Allowances:
Leader - £13086.25
Deputy Leader - £ 6317.50
Leader Main Opposition - £ 5002.78 (including reduction requested by member)
Leader Minority Opposition - £ 2632.59
Vice Chairman 8 @ £ 957.57
- all plus Basic Allowance.