Brentwood Borough Council

Brentwood Borough Council

Quick Links

Skip Navigation | Home page | Site map | Search | Help | Complaints procedure | Disclaimer | Feedback | Access key details
Brentwood Borough Council

FOI 2603

Specialist needs housing


I am writing to enquire about the number of people /households require specialist (accessible) housing in your local authority area.

The figures should include people on current housing register list, and people referred by social services and/or housing department who require specialist housing.

Can the figures be breakdown at which type of specialist needs housing that required, such as people require wheelchair-accessible housing, and/or housing for people with sensory impairments, and/or people with learning disability, etc.?

Can these figures also be breakdown at the district council level?


Ref: FOIA 2603.
Letter confirming that the applicable cost limit is exceeded
I have been asked to respond to an e-mail received on 12th October 2011 where you requested information about the number of people/households that require specialist (accessible) housing in the Brentwood Local Authority area. Please accept my apology for the delay in replying.
From our preliminary assessment, it is clear that we will not be able to answer your request without further clarification.
Section 12 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 makes provision for public authorities to refuse requests for information where the cost of dealing with them would exceed the appropriate limit, which for this authority is set at £450.
In order to provide you with the information on the scale that you have requested would require us to search 2,400 plus Housing Register application files to locate, retrieve and compile the information you require. At an estimated time of 15 minutes per file this would take approximately 600 hours and cost £15,000 based on an average staff cost of £25.00 per hour.
You could refine your request and keep within the cost limit of £450 by asking us to search a sample number of up to 72 Housing register application files, extrapolating your data from the results.
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your request, you have the right to ask for an internal review. Internal review requests should be submitted within two months of the date of receipt of the response to your original letter and should be addressed to: Complaints Coordinator, Brentwood Borough Council, Town Hall, Ingrave Road, Brentwood, Essex CM15 8AY.
Please remember to quote the reference number above in any future communications.
If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review, you have the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.