Brentwood Borough Council

Brentwood Borough Council

Quick Links

Skip Navigation | Home page | Site map | Search | Help | Complaints procedure | Disclaimer | Feedback | Access key details
Brentwood Borough Council

FOI 13297

War Pension Scheme & Care


Does your local authority exempt an individual's War Pension – also referred to as the War Pension Scheme or War Service Pensions – from the means test for any social care received?
If yes – on what basis does the exemption work? Please include any internal or external guidance used in the means testing process?
If no – how many individuals receiving care or support with care have their War Pension taken into account when they receive any means tested care?
Care refers to any residential or non-residential care provided by, or on behalf of, your local authority.
War Pension refers to the War Pension Scheme awarded for illness, injury, death or disease caused or exacerbated by service in any of the armed forced prior to the 6thof April 2005.
I would like the above information to be provided to me electronically.
If this request is too wide or unclear, I would be grateful if you could contact me as I understand that under the Act, you are required to advise and assist requesters in guiding their requests for information.
If any of this information is already in the public domain, please can you direct me to it, with page references and URLs if necessary.
If the release of any of this information is prohibited on the grounds of breach of confidence, I ask that you supply me with copies of the confidentiality agreement and remind you that information should not be treated as confidential if such an agreement has not been signed.


Thank you for your Freedom of Information request concerning exemption of War Pensions.

 Here at Brentwood Borough Council, we only deal with Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.  I can however confirm that an individuals War Pension is fully disregarded in the assessment of both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.


Assessments for Social care and/or support is not dealt with at Brentwood Borough Council. You would need to contact Essex County Council to obtain that information. They have an email address for Freedom of Information requests – or you can visit the web page at