We would like to make a Freedom of Information request to your council regarding primate licensing.
Please find our questions in the protected document attached.
Please note that we make a request similar to this annually, but that this is a wholly new request regarding 2016 figures. There are also additional questions in the request that have
not featured before, so please be sure not to forward on responses to requests from previous years but to treat this like a new request.
FOI Request 2016
As of 25th February 2016:
1) How many DWA licences are currently issued in your area? - NIL
2) How many of these DWA licences are issued for primates (monkeys, apes or prosimians such as lemurs)? - N/A
3) How many applications for licences to keep primates under the DWA Act have been refused in your area in the last 12 months? - N/A
On what grounds were they refused? - N/A
4) What is the cost of obtaining a DWA licence in your area (please indicate whether this includes any veterinary fees incurred)? - N/A
5) What is the cost of “renewing” a DWA licence in your area (please indicate whether this includes any veterinary fees incurred)? N/A
6) Are you aware of any breeders or dealers of primates in your area? - N/A
If yes how many? And are they licensed under the Pet Animals Act 1951? - N/A
7) If a member of the public is aware of a breach of the Animal Welfare Act with regards to a primate, who do they contact in your area? - LICENSING DEPART
8) In order to be granted DWA licences for primates, must applicants
demonstrate that they meet the conditions laid out in the Code of Practice for
the Welfare of Privately Kept Non-human Primates? - YES
PART 2 - N/A
10) If there are primates licensed in your area, please provide copies of all licences, and the most recent relevant veterinary and inspection report(s) for each licence (on the understanding that for data protection purposes, certain information may be obscured). If no written reports are available, please indicate the date on which the most recent report was conducted, by whom, and the outcome of the visit. If not included in the report(s), please also provide the following information:
For each licence issued for primates:
a) How many individuals of each species are covered (please provide the scientific name: i.e. Cebus apella)?
b) What is the age and sex of each licensed primate? If this information is not kept by your council, please indicate so.
c) Where was each primate obtained? If this information is not kept by your council, please indicate so.
d) Are these primates considered to be pets? If not, how are they classified?
e) Please confirm whether any restriction is placed on the breeding of the licensed animals. If no restriction exists, please indicate whether the existing licence would automatically cover the offspring, and until what age this cover would last.
11) Would you or someone in your department, be willing to share any further information about DWA licensing?
And who can we contact for such information?